Xanax ( Alprazolam Intensol, Novo-Alprazol )
In Canada ( Apo-Alpzar, Nu-Alpraz )
Xanax ( Alprazolam ) is an anti-anxiety agent benzodiazepine used primarily for short-term relief of mild to moderate anxiety and nervous tension. Alprazolam is also effective in the treatment of activity depression or panic attacks. It can also be useful in treating irritable bowel syndrome and anxiety due to a neurosis. Xanax ( Alprazolam ) may help the symptoms of PMS if extreme, and, if given with various narcotics, the pain from some cancers. Xanax ( Alprazolam ) is used to relieve anxiety, nervousness, and tension associated with anxiety disorders, agoraphobia, essential tremor, fibromyalgia ( low dosage ), and ringing ears.
- Xanax ( Alprazolam ) is in a class of drugs called benzodiazepines.
- Xanax ( Alprazolam ) affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause anxiety.
- Xanax ( Alprazolam ) may also be used for purposes other than those listed here.
Oral Solution: 0.25mg, 0.5 mg, 1 mg / 5 ml, 0.25mg / 2.5 ml.
Tablets: 0.25mg, 0.5 mg, 1 mg, 2 mg.
USE UP TO EIGHT MONTHS ONLY!
If under 18 years of age, DO NOT USE!
- 18 to 60 years of age, 0.25mg to 1.5mg daily.
- Over 60 years of age, lower dosage, increased cautiously.
- Dosages: Actual dosage must be determined by a physician.
Dosage Depends on Disorder:
- Oral (For anxiety or nervous tension):
Start : 0.25 mg to 0.5 mg 3 times daily.
Maximum : 4 mg in 24 hours.
- Oral (For panic disorder):
Start : 0.5 mg 3 times daily.
Increases : 1 mg daily in 3 to 4 day intervals.
Maximum : 10 mg in 24 hours.
Liver Function: If liver disease is present, start dosage at 0.25mg, increase as needed.
Kidney Function: N/A.
Before taking: None if for short-term use.
While taking: None if for short-term use.
Take: With or without food. Take each dose with a full glass of water. Do not crush, chew, or break the extended-release form Alprazolam (Xanax XR). Swallow whole.
Full Benefits: First day to a week.
Missed Dose(s): Take if within one hour ;if over an hour skip and then continue on your normal schedule. Never Take a Double Dose
To Stop Use: Do not stop without consulting your physician and never abruptly if you have been taking it for over three weeks. Seizures may be a side effect of sudden discontinuation of the medication. Your doctor may recommend a gradual reduction in your dose.
Overdose symptoms include: Confusion, loss of consciousness or sleepiness. Can be fatal. Seek emergency medical attention if an overdose is suspected.
Symptoms of an Xanax ( Alprazolam ) overdose include:
- A slow heart beat.
- Difficulty breathing.
- Difficulty walking and talking.
- The appearance of being drunk.
Remember: Keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children; never share your medicines with others and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Do not stop taking abruptly.
- Do not give this drug to anyone who is psychotic.
- Narcotics may increase the sedative effects of this drug.
- Do not take other sedatives, benzodiazepines,or sleeping pills with this drug. The combinations could be fatal.
- Do not drink alcohol when taking benzodiazepines. Alcohol can lower blood pressure and decrease your breathing rate to the point of unconsciousness.
- The habit-forming potential is high; it is possible to become dependent in the first few days.
- Do not stop taking this drug abruptly; this could cause psychological and physical withdrawal symptoms.
- Do not take Alprazolam if you have narrow-angle glaucoma. Alprazolam may worsen this condition.
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you have:
- kidney disease.
- liver disease.
- a history of alcohol or drug abuse.
- asthma or bronchitis.
- any respiratory disease.
- depression or suicidal thoughts.
- bipolar disorder.
- any psychiatric condition.
- Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities as Xanax ( Alprazolam ) may cause drowsiness or dizziness. If you experience drowsiness or dizziness, avoid these activities. (If it is definite that Xanax ( Alprazolam ) causes drowsiness you cannot then is “If you experience”)
- Avoid alcohol while taking Xanax ( Alprazolam ) . Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness caused by Xanax ( Alprazolam ) .
- Do not crush, chew, or break the extended-release form Alprazolam ( Xanax XR ). Swallow whole. These tablets are specially formulated to slowly release the medication in the body.
- Xanax ( Alprazolam ) is habit forming. You can become physically and psychologically dependent on the medication.
- Do not take more than the prescribed amount of medication or take it for longer than directed by your doctor.
- Withdrawal effects may occur if alprazolam is stopped suddenly after several weeks of continuous use.
- Seizures may be a side effect of sudden discontinuation of the medication.
- Xanax ( Alprazolam ) may increase the effects of other drugs that cause drowsiness, including antidepressants, alcohol, antihistamines, sedatives ( used to treat insomnia ), pain relievers, anxiety medicines, seizure medicines and muscle relaxants.
Do not use if:
- you had negative reactions to other benzodiazepines
- you have a history of drug dependence.
- you have had a stroke.
- you have multiple sclerosis.
- you have Alzheimer's disease.
- you are seriously depressed or if you have other brain disorders.
- you have myasthenia gravis or acute narrow-angle glaucoma.
- you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
- you are breast-feeding.
- you are under eighteen, and only in small doses with very close monitoring if over sixty.
Inform Physician if: you have a seizure disorder, impaired liver / kidney function, history of alcoholism / drug abuse, psychosis, palpitations or tachycardia.
Xanax ( Alprazolam )
Symptoms or Effects
Common: Clumsiness, Sleepiness, Drowsiness, Dizziness, Depression, Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea / Constipation, Difficulty urinating, Vivid dreams, Headache, Dry mouth, Decreased sex drive, and/or changes in behavior.
Rare: Abdominal cramps, blurred vision, dry mouth, racing heartbeat / palpitations, shaking / slurred speech, urination problems, convulsions,hallucinations, memory loss, trouble breathing, staggering / trembling, headache, confusion, sore breast / milk secretion, or irregular menstruation. ( Be consistent in what you capitalize in both “common” and “rare” . Either is fine, it just needs to be consistent. )
Always see physician for these side effects and for severe clumsiness and sleepiness.
See physician NOW:
- Convulsions, hallucinations, memory loss, trouble breathing or staggering / trembling.
- An allergic reaction (difficulty breathing, closing of the throat, swelling of the lips, face, or tongue or hives.)
- Sores in the mouth or throat.
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes.
- A rash.
- Hallucinations or severe confusion.
- Changes in vision.
If you experience any of the above serious side effects, stop taking Alprazolam and seek emergency medical attention or contact your doctor immediately.
Other names by country:
- Xanax® - United States, Australia, United Kingdom
- Xanax XR® - (an extended release formulation) United States
- Apo-Alpraz® - Canada (also made by other companies under different names)
- Xanor® - Finland, Philippines, South Africa, Sweden
- Kalma® - Australia, New Zealand
- Ralozam® - Australia, New Zealand
- Zamhexal® - Australia
- Alplax® - Argentina
- Alviz® - Indonesia
- Alzolam® - India, Malaysia
- Alprax® - India
- Tranax® - India
- Restyl® - Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Qatar, Republic of Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Syria, United Arab Emirates
- Tranquinal® - Ecuador, Peru
- Trankimazin® - Spain
- Tafil® - Costa Rica, Denmark, El Salvador, Germany, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Venezuela
- Tafil AP® - (an extended release formulation) Mexico
- Constan® - Japan
- Solanax® - Japan
- Zolarem® - Bahrain, Benin, Burkina-Faso, Cyprus, Egypt, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Ivory Coast, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Qatar, Republic of Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra-Leone, South Africa, Sudan, Syria, Tanzania, Tunia, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- Zoldac® - Benin, Burkina-Faso, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, India, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra-Leone, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Tunia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- Calmax® - Ireland
  Next Page